*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

A4LDe Autobox

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

A4LDe Autobox

Postby andykay » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:53 pm

Does anyone have a diagram of this gearbox they can e-mail me so I can trace where all the pipes run from it to the radiator :?:
Just came back from Blackpool and it seems I did not get all the leaks the last time Image and I cannot for the life of me see where the ATF is coming from :?

Thanks
Andy.
1992 MK4 120 SWB V6 24V AUTO
1996 MK5 100 LWB TD AUTO

Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive.
andykay
Cosworth Powered
Cosworth Powered

Re: A4LDe Autobox

Postby AndyG » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:45 pm

There's only two pipes attached to the box toward the front of it, near the torque converter housing on the drivers side :| going to the oil cooling radiator :D
The dipstick tube is removable and there's a breathing hole which normally has a tube attached to it on the very top of the box :D

Now if this breather is blocked :shock: it could give you this trouble :(

I somehow can't see you popping underneath to check it :| Have you got somebody that could :?:

And do you not have a TIS Disc :?:

Here's a piccy for you :D
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby andykay » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:26 pm

Andyg wrote:There's only two pipes attached to the box toward the front of it, near the torque converter housing on the drivers side :| going to the oil cooling radiator :D
The dipstick tube is removable and there's a breathing hole which normally has a tube attached to it on the very top of the box :D
Now if this breather is blocked :shock: it could give you this trouble :(

Cheers Andy,
I couldn't work out which side the pipes were as the hoses come round from the passenger side :? under the radiator then screw in one under the top hose and another at the bottom on the drivers side :roll: me thinks someone has been @rsing around with this gearbox and pipe work which could explain the little radiator bolted to the front that had pipes on that didn't connect to anything :!:

Andyg wrote:
I somehow can't see you popping underneath to check it :| Have you got somebody that could :?:

And do you not have a TIS Disc :?:

Here's a piccy for you :D

I can get underneath I just have to fall out of my chair :lol: its getting back in thats the problem :D
I will get someone to check me the breather and see where the pipes are in the morning. I have a couple of TIS disks but could not find anything about this gearbox :shock: mind you its late and its been one of those days so I may have missed it.

Andy.
1996 MK5 100 LWB TD AUTO

andykay
Cosworth Powered
Cosworth Powered

Postby AndyG » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:30 pm

From what you've said, someone has defo carried out a bit of a bodge mod :roll: :roll:

I'm sure you'll sort it out ready for the next owner :wink: :lol:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby andykay » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:34 pm

Andyg wrote:
I'm sure you'll sort it out ready for the next owner :wink: :lol:

I need to sort it out for this owner before I can pass it on to someone else :)
Not sure if I should buy new ATF pipes if they are available, or just chop them off at the radiator and gearbox and run some 3/8" hose between :? what sort of pressure does the atf run at :?:

Andy.
1996 MK5 100 LWB TD AUTO

andykay
Cosworth Powered
Cosworth Powered

Postby AndyG » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:50 pm

I'll try and find out what the actual pressure is in these pipes :!:
But I would have thought that hose clips should hold up well enough, as there isn't "high" pressure as such, as it's only ATF being pushed through a matrix and NOT applying any clutches or servos :wink:

One small point though. Isn't this box an A4ld :?: Or has it got the electronic pressure solenoid instead of the vacuum type :?:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby andykay » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:06 pm

Andyg wrote:
One small point though. Isn't this box an A4ld :?: Or has it got the electronic pressure solenoid instead of the vacuum type :?:

I thought the 3 speed boxes were e's :!: I get easily confused it's to do with my age :lol:
Is there any reason why the fluid would be coming out of the breather as it looks as though that is what is happening :shock: The pipe from the breather goes into the crossmember and that is full of atf and so is the pipe. I cannot find any leaks in the main pipe sections that run to the radiator. And why would this only happen after covering 170 miles :?

Andy.
1996 MK5 100 LWB TD AUTO

andykay
Cosworth Powered
Cosworth Powered

Postby AndyG » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:02 pm

Yeah :!: Probably too young :o :lol:

Mk3 Transits had the C3 box. P,R,N,D,2,1. Then moved up to the A4ld box, ( which is actually a C3 with overdrive :wink: ) P,R,N,D,3,2,1.
This box was carried over to the MK4 Transit until the MK5 came out.
The MK5 in the UK was only ever available with the A4lde and with the Turbo diesel engine of which the ECU also controlled the "e"lectronic pressure solenoid :wink:
We never got a smiley DOHC petrol in the UK :roll:
The Granada/Scorpios went a step further and had the A4ldE :!: Large E meaning Full ECU control over all the gears :!: This was never fitted to the Transit :? (probably cost and why change something that works reasonably well, anyway :D )

As for your oil leaking out of the breather :roll: Are you sure there isn't too much :shock: oil in it :?:
Warm engine, leave engine running, select all positions at least three times (pausing a second in each and ending in P :lol: ) and then check the level :D engine still running :wink:( :lol: This is really for others reading :wink: I'm sure you know how to check your level :wink: )

Or it's overheating and foaming up and out the breather :roll: :?:

Do you think the current cooler is doing it's job :?:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby viper » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:10 pm

Pushing out ATF from breather or dipstick tube means 1 of 3 things.

Wrong or low grade quality of ATF used, including topping up.
Air entering the pump circuit from a failed "O" rig or gasket.
Gearbox over heating which can be caused by a few things, the major one been torque converter.

Not knowing this model but some gearboxes have a vaccum applied may or may not be the case, sum gearboxes also have air pressure applied but usually found in HGVs and earth movers.

Incorrect hosing or even a slight kink can cause ATF to foam, ATF is good stuff but it loves to foam rather easily, hope you solve the problem easily and boy can auto boxses cost to repair
Custom interior, MK6 MWB RWD 90PS 2000)...220 000miles, parked up for 3 years rust free
viper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andykay » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:29 pm

Andyg wrote:Yeah :!: Probably too young :o :lol:
Mk3 Transits had the C3 box. P,R,N,D,2,1. Then moved up to the A4ld box, ( which is actually a C3 with overdrive :wink: ) P,R,N,D,3,2,1.

Right, this box has P,R,N,D,2,1 and its got overdrive the gear lever has been cut off to attach the electronic gear selector which doesn't make things any easier :!: so its a A4ld :?: :)

Andyg wrote:
As for your oil leaking out of the breather :roll: Are you sure there isn't too much :shock: oil in it :?:
Warm engine, leave engine running, select all positions at least three times (pausing a second in each and ending in P :lol: ) and then check the level :D engine still running :wink:( :lol: This is really for others reading :wink: I'm sure you know how to check your level :wink: )

Or it's overheating and foaming up and out the breather :roll: :?:

Do you think the current cooler is doing it's job :?:

Dismantled the electronic gear selector and did all the neccesary in and out of gear when I filled it, by hand to make sure I got it right and it ran for nearly 200 miles before it spat the dummy and chucked the atf out I was going over the Woodhead Pass when it went as it sprayed all up the back windows and covered the four cars behind me :oops: pulled into a lay-by and by the time I got out the van fluid was running in a river from underneath when I have filled it again today it only took 2 litres to fill :!: .
Not sure on the cooler as the secondary one was never been fitted but due to the fact it was there suggests it may need one :( I may just remove the pipes from the radiator and connect them to a bigger one to see if that sorts it out.
If not it could be new gearbox time and while I am at it I will change this engine for something with a bit more poke :lol:

viper wrote:Pushing out ATF from breather or dipstick tube means 1 of 3 things.

Wrong or low grade quality of ATF used, including topping up.
Air entering the pump circuit from a failed "O" rig or gasket.
Gearbox over heating which can be caused by a few things, the major one been torque converter.

Used good quality ATF and cannot see or find any other problems but the overheating could be a possibility :!:

viper wrote:Incorrect hosing or even a slight kink can cause ATF to foam, ATF is good stuff but it loves to foam rather easily, hope you solve the problem easily and boy can auto boxses cost to repair

Stuck the brother in law under it today and checked the hoses from one end to the other could not see anything wrong and if it needs repairing I will just find a recon and swap it over as hunting for the fault could cost a fortune :roll:

Andy.
1996 MK5 100 LWB TD AUTO

andykay
Cosworth Powered
Cosworth Powered

Postby andykay » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:21 pm

Well I have checked everything I can think of but cannot see any problem :? apart from it looks like the box overheats and chucks all the ATF out the breather pipe :o so I have ordered a larger radiator so I can give the box a seperate cooler from the water radiator :)
Can I just unscrew the atf pipes from the back of the radiator and leave them undone :?:
Also can I route the breather pipe back to the filler pipe so if it spits the dummy again the atf will run back into the box :?:

Andy.
1996 MK5 100 LWB TD AUTO

andykay
Cosworth Powered
Cosworth Powered

Postby AndyG » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:35 pm

:shock:

I presume you mean attach the pipes onto the new rad :?: Then yes :!: :D

Leave the old rad ends open :?: Can't see why not :!: But always best to plug them if poss. :D

As for a long tube to the dipstick entry :?: No harm in that I suppose :lol: But really shouldn't need it :|
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby andykay » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:12 pm

Cheers Andy, better get the front end off again ready to fit the new bits and keep my fingers crossed :lol:

Andyg wrote::shock:

As for a long tube to the dipstick entry :?: No harm in that I suppose :lol: But really shouldn't need it :|

The reason being is though its funny to cover cars travelling too close behind with ATF its a pain to have to refill it not to mention £20+ a bottle :o . Mind you the underside will never rust as its soaked in the stuff :roll:

Andy.
1996 MK5 100 LWB TD AUTO

andykay
Cosworth Powered
Cosworth Powered

Postby rover » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:18 am

Where you getting the ATF cooler from Andy? I've been looking for a suitable one for mine as it also overheats :(

When I get time I'm going to change the filter as that can also cause overheating if it a bit clogged.

Rover.
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andykay » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:18 pm

rover wrote:Where you getting the ATF cooler from Andy? I've been looking for a suitable one for mine as it also overheats :( Rover.

I am going to stick a Mocal 13 row cooler on as after a talk with a couple of companies they said this would be more than large enough to cool anything.
The hard part was finding someone with one in stock, ended up getting one here eBay listings cost £46 but most places wanted £59 with a 7 day wait, you may find one at the local motor factors I couldn't be @rsed to go searching round :)

rover wrote:When I get time I'm going to change the filter as that can also cause overheating if it a bit clogged.

Rover.

Thats the next job when I can get out to find a filter and hopefully the job should be sorted Image its costing more in ATF than petrol :x

Andy.
1996 MK5 100 LWB TD AUTO

andykay
Cosworth Powered
Cosworth Powered

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions