*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Sorry, chain tensioner numbers again

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Sorry, chain tensioner numbers again

Postby kevingrapes » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:42 am

I have a 2002 LDV convoy with a 75 ps 2.4 duratorq in it. It has started rattle briefly on startup so I'm going to fit a new tensioner, main guide and other bits as necessary.

The problem I have is that ford (among others) wont speak to me because my van is an LDV. I would just like to confirm that the 1138760 tensioner and the 1096496 guide is what should be fitted to all 2.4di duratorque engines???

I'm really sorry to go over old stuff but this just seems like such a minefield to me.
kevingrapes
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Sorry, chain tensioner numbers again

Postby angeleye » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:24 pm

not fitted to all 2.4 engines,also chain is different 1099874 to go with these,read taz tsb on last post,
best bet take cover off have a look if its a single or duplex chain,if its a 75ps could well be single,if it is a single get the whole kit to change into a duplex chain ,(this is what a lot of taxis drivers did to over come tentioner issues),
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby kevingrapes » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks for the reply, so the new tensioner, guide and chain must be fitted as a set? I will finish stripping her down and see what chain is fitted, from the manual I think it's a duplex.

KG
kevingrapes
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby angeleye » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:55 pm

tentioner and main blade should be fitted as a matched set,as these have been changed a few times and not all are compatable with each other,chain /other guides is up to you,
my point was if its a single chain /change the lot,also everything will match up,
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby kevingrapes » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Got the timing cover off on Saturday, chain is pretty slack in places. It is a double chain one so I think I'm going to go with a new tensioner, main blade and chain, is there any need to do the sprockets? I don't think that the chain is badly stretched (timing pins go in fine).

The thing that bothered me was when I was cranking her over it seemed almost too easy. I could feel pressure build as i was turning but if i left it for a few seconds the pressure would drop and I could turn fairly easy again. Also I could hear hissing as I turned her over. Is this normal?

Cheers for your help.

KG
kevingrapes
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits