*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil leak.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Oil leak.

Postby chompersnz » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:28 am

Hi all, we’re away for a long weekend in our camper and has developed a oil leak from one of the pumps on the passenger side (left here in NZ). Unsure what exactly the pumps for but it’s the one directly above the air con compressor, oil is leaking from the shaft the pulley is attached to. My question is assuming we keep a eye on the oil level apart from making a mess is there likely anything drastically wrong with driving it home?
chompersnz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Oil leak.

Postby knobby1 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 pm

chompersnz wrote:Hi all, we’re away for a long weekend in our camper and has developed a oil leak from one of the pumps on the passenger side (left here in NZ). Unsure what exactly the pumps for but it’s the one directly above the air con compressor, oil is leaking from the shaft the pulley is attached to. My question is assuming we keep a eye on the oil level apart from making a mess is there likely anything drastically wrong with driving it home?

Firstly, welcome to the forum from over the ditch..! Secondly, you've not told us what modle Transit you have..?? Mk6 or Mk7..?? (VH/VJ or VM??) FWD or RWD..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby chompersnz » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:23 am

knobby1 wrote:
chompersnz wrote:Hi all, we’re away for a long weekend in our camper and has developed a oil leak from one of the pumps on the passenger side (left here in NZ). Unsure what exactly the pumps for but it’s the one directly above the air con compressor, oil is leaking from the shaft the pulley is attached to. My question is assuming we keep a eye on the oil level apart from making a mess is there likely anything drastically wrong with driving it home?

Firstly, welcome to the forum from over the ditch..! Secondly, you've not told us what modle Transit you have..?? Mk6 or Mk7..?? (VH/VJ or VM??) FWD or RWD..??

Lord Knobrot

Hi, I’ve read a fair amount of your reply’s while reading up on this issue! Where would I find the model info? Just looked over all the plates and can’t find VH/VJ etc, it’s a 2007 2.4 6 speed manual ,rwd duel tyres on the back, 135 t430 on the door mould. From what I’ve read I’m like dealing with a leaking gasket between the block and water pump or water pump and the vacuum pump that sits on top of it.
chompersnz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:01 pm

chompersnz wrote:Hi, I’ve read a fair amount of your reply’s while reading up on this issue! Where would I find the model info? Just looked over all the plates and can’t find VH/VJ etc, it’s a 2007 2.4 6 speed manual ,rwd duel tyres on the back, 135 t430 on the door mould. From what I’ve read I’m like dealing with a leaking gasket between the block and water pump or water pump and the vacuum pump that sits on top of it.

VH/VJ & VM are Aussie/NZ names...no other country uses them as far as I'm aware.

If yours is built in 2007, it will be a VM Mk7 and likely the 140ps version. VH/VJ is Mk6. However, what confuses me is the "135 T430" on the door external trim, this only appeared on the Mk6's, Mk7's just have "Transit" on them.. What is the actual build date of yours..?? It will be on one of the door shut stickers. I have a suspicion it might be a late model Mk6 TDCi.

The water pump doesn't use any oil but has oil passages running through it to supply the vacuum pump and drain back to sump. The gasket between the water pump and vacuum pump are well known for leaking oil, the vacuum pump pulley shaft seal can also leak....relatively easy fix, just replace the pump & gasket. Just be aware, there are a couple of different types of gaskets for them. Mk6 & Mk7 2.4's are essentially the same in this area.

But... give the whole area a good clean first to make sure there is nothing coming from the water pump/block interface before you attack it.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby chompersnz » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:42 pm

VH/VJ & VM are Aussie/NZ names...no other country uses them as far as I'm aware.

If yours is built in 2007, it will be a VM Mk7 and likely the 140ps version. VH/VJ is Mk6. However, what confuses me is the "135 T430" on the door external trim, this only appeared on the Mk6's, Mk7's just have "Transit" on them.. What is the actual build date of yours..?? It will be on one of the door shut stickers. I have a suspicion it might be a late model Mk6 TDCi.

The water pump doesn't use any oil but has oil passages running through it to supply the vacuum pump and drain back to sump. The gasket between the water pump and vacuum pump are well known for leaking oil, the vacuum pump pulley shaft seal can also leak....relatively easy fix, just replace the pump & gasket. Just be aware, there are a couple of different types of gaskets for them. Mk6 & Mk7 2.4's are essentially the same in this area.

But... give the whole area a good clean first to make sure there is nothing coming from the water pump/block interface before you attack it.

Lord Knobrot[/quote]

I’m currently at work but will check the tags again tonight. The leak looks lower than the vacuum pump, it’s the inside of the water pump pulley that’s distributing it around that side of the engine bay which is why I initially thought the shaft was leaking. I’ve ordered the water pump/block gasket from ford, so will start there, should I be doing the pump at the same time?

Paul
chompersnz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:47 am

chompersnz wrote:VH/VJ & VM are Aussie/NZ names...no other country uses them as far as I'm aware.

Lord Knobrot

I’m currently at work but will check the tags again tonight. The leak looks lower than the vacuum pump, it’s the inside of the water pump pulley that’s distributing it around that side of the engine bay which is why I initially thought the shaft was leaking. I’ve ordered the water pump/block gasket from ford, so will start there, should I be doing the pump at the same time?

Paul[/quote]

As mentioned, the water pump itself isn't lubed by oil, it has a sealed bearing, the pump body is just used to transport oil to/from the vacuum pump...it is possible for the oil to be leaking from the water pump/block gasket though. The water pump and vacuum pumps don't last forever so if they have a decent mileage on them, I'd just replace them both.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby chompersnz » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:28 am

Hi, I checked the tag and you are correct, built on 03/06, I guess they brought them and it took a while to convert to a camper before getting registered.

I’ve only owned it since Xmas so the water pump/ vacuum pump history is unknown but they had no issues before the oil leak. Unfortunately there was a delay between my post getting excepted and what I’d learnt on this forum so I knew that like you say the oil only goes through the water pump and it was likely the gasket. From a few videos I’ve watched replacing the gasket seems pretty simple so I’ll start there and see how it goes.
chompersnz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:39 pm

chompersnz wrote:Hi, I checked the tag and you are correct, built on 03/06, I guess they brought them and it took a while to convert to a camper before getting registered.

I’ve only owned it since Xmas so the water pump/ vacuum pump history is unknown but they had no issues before the oil leak. Unfortunately there was a delay between my post getting excepted and what I’d learnt on this forum so I knew that like you say the oil only goes through the water pump and it was likely the gasket. From a few videos I’ve watched replacing the gasket seems pretty simple so I’ll start there and see how it goes.

So its one of the dreaded Mk6 TDCi 135's with the Delphi fuel system..!! Yes..."build date" determines what model it is...not reg date.

Yes, gasket is pretty simple to do...whilst you're down there, also check the large O-ring on the rear of the water pump, the plastic fitting with all the hoses connected to it...they can dribble and weep.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby chompersnz » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:30 pm

Ha, “dreaded fuel system” sound ominous, should I be getting out of it asap…? And could that possibly be part of the pinking issue were discussing on my other thread ?
chompersnz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:52 pm

chompersnz wrote:Ha, “dreaded fuel system” sound ominous, should I be getting out of it asap…? And could that possibly be part of the pinking issue were discussing on my other thread ?

The Mk6 TDCi "Delphi" fuel systems are well known for being rather fragile.....when they're running well, they're very good...but the pumps can eat themselves internally and spread metal swarf all through the whole fuel system, taking the injectors with it.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby chompersnz » Sat May 11, 2024 8:52 am

Hi, finally got and fitted the vac/water pump gasket and the leak is still there, can oil leak from the shaft of the vac pump? I’ve read that the gaskets are a bit sh*t but given it’s pretty much the same I’m assuming come from a different spot.

Paul
chompersnz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Sat May 11, 2024 12:44 pm

chompersnz wrote:Hi, finally got and fitted the vac/water pump gasket and the leak is still there, can oil leak from the shaft of the vac pump? I’ve read that the gaskets are a bit sh*t but given it’s pretty much the same I’m assuming come from a different spot.

Paul

Do you have the water pump with the O-ring grooves/rebates or the plain flat gasket between it and the vacuum pump...?? It is possible for the vacuum pump to leak from the front pulley shaft seal, but it is rare....if it is, just replace the vac pump.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby chompersnz » Sun May 12, 2024 5:00 am

Do you have the water pump with the O-ring grooves/rebates or the plain flat gasket between it and the vacuum pump...?? It is possible for the vacuum pump to leak from the front pulley shaft seal, but it is rare....if it is, just replace the vac pump.

Lord Knobrot[/quote]

It’s the flat metal seal with rubber moulded where the oil galleries are. I lightly tightened the bolts then worked around them slightly tightening a bit more each time to keep it as even as possible as the 3 bolts seemed in weird spots, no special order to tightening you know of? All the mating surfaces looked clean which adds to me now thinking it’s the pump as I imagine you’d see where it’d been leaking? There’s a few aftermarket options available online but is genuine the smart option?

Paul
chompersnz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:52 pm

chompersnz wrote:It’s the flat metal seal with rubber moulded where the oil galleries are. I lightly tightened the bolts then worked around them slightly tightening a bit more each time to keep it as even as possible as the 3 bolts seemed in weird spots, no special order to tightening you know of? All the mating surfaces looked clean which adds to me now thinking it’s the pump as I imagine you’d see where it’d been leaking? There’s a few aftermarket options available online but is genuine the smart option? Paul

There's a couple of different pumps available for them. One of the pumps has cut-outs or rebates for proper O-rings on the mating surface between the pump and vacuum pumps, they seal very well. The metal gasket type ones tend to leak.

The first pic is the one I use where it has proper O-ring rebates....the second one is the one which tends to leak.

Pump.jpg

Pump1.jpg

Lord Knobrot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby chompersnz » Sun May 12, 2024 11:33 pm

There's a couple of different pumps available for them. One of the pumps has cut-outs or rebates for proper O-rings on the mating surface between the pump and vacuum pumps, they seal very well. The metal gasket type ones tend to leak.

The first pic is the one I use where it has proper O-ring rebates....the second one is the one which tends to leak.

Pump.jpg

Pump1.jpg

Lord Knobrot[/quote]

Mines definitely the flat metal plate style, both the mating surfaces are flat and theres 2 dowels to locate the gasket and the vac pump. Ford said 20nm on the bolts so I’ll clean it all, torque it down and see if I can see where it’s leaking. $430 odd for a vac pump so I don’t want to replace it to find it still leaks..

I can’t view the photos, says don’t have the necessary permission?

Paul
chompersnz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits