*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cold Start Issue 2014 2.2l

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Cold Start Issue 2014 2.2l

Postby Tom1990 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:23 pm

Hi,

I have a 2014 Transit Custom 2.2l got just over 250,000 miles on it

Usually starts up first time on a cold morning. Last couple of days I’ve had issues. Really laboured start after it’s been sat over night. Followed by Revs dancing at idle and a couple of stalls at idle. Once the engine gets to temperature revs stabilise and there is no issue. Rest of day even after been sat 3-4 hours starts first time no issues. Only seems to be when it’s sat for a longer period of time. Wouldn’t have said the nights have been very cold either. Anyone got any ideas to the cause? Just trying to narrow it down a bit. If it’s likely to be something expensive will be contemplating getting rid as I’ve spent so much on the van already.

Thank you

Tom
Tom1990

Re: Cold Start Issue 2014 2.2l

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:21 pm

There's a lot it can be .

first check the batteries and charging system

for that you need a volt meter.

if you have one of them.

come back and confirm ..and we will go in depth .when you are ready.

al the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Tom1990 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 pm

Cheers

Ive checked battery getting 12.4 across that. 14.2 when running. Alternator was replaced about 6 months ago. Fuel filter has been changed this year too. Was thinking inititialy it may be a fuel issue. Like fuel pump or injectors but then don’t get why it runs fine once it’s got to temp and even in the day when it’s dropped back down temp after a good 3-4 hours I have no issues on startup.
Tom1990

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:32 pm

I'm going off the "laboured start" - do you mean the starter motor is sluggish ..if so, you want to check all thick cables, earths and positives, take the terminals off connections and clean them .
We've had quite a few posts here, where such was all down to this, and a few posts were a replacement starter cured the problem. With the mileage you have on it ..that's where you should look first, so to eliminate the simplest things first. these things are like routine maintenance things that will enhance and prolong its reliability...even if it does not cure the fault.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Tom1990 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:59 pm

Don’t think it would hurt to replace starter motor tbh. But yeah it’s more after it’s started up the stalling and the rev dance till engine is warm. Keeps dropping revs in idle I can put revs on it fine but once it drops back to idle it drops revs and stalls out most the time till it’s warmed up. Literally the second I hit correct engine temp it goes.
Tom1990

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:44 pm

Well sorry, I'm going to tell you now; an answer that appears here frequently, well almost non stop.
To do diagnostics on your van ...that's after the simple things I've just mentioned.
plus other service items like fuel filter .

You need to download a free program to you lap top or mobile called "Forscan".

You will need an interface cable called "ELM 327"..about a tenner, that plugs into the OBD2 port.

Also believe there is a blue tooth version for mobiles.

To learn how to use it.
Go here:
https://forscan.org/forum/

BASICALLY - The codes it brings up, to make sense of them, just type the code into google with the word "ford"

The codes are universal and mean mostly the same for all vehicles ..but the word "ford" gets you closer to a solution.

all the best.mark
Last edited by metalworker0 on Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:56 pm

BRIEF explanation of how a sluggish starter motor brings down everything.

The electronics, ecu etc require 12 volt ........repeated prolonged starting with sluggish starter drawing lots of power will bring that voltage down ..and make electronics perform erratically ..which may be what you are experiencing in the minutes after first start.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Custom