*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Noise insulation and sound upgrade

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Noise insulation and sound upgrade

Postby Mario92 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:30 pm

Hello everybody

I decided to share my experience with the new Tourneo Custom. The sound quality was just awful compared to old MK6 Transit and the noise was tiring on the highway. I decided to do something about it and as things evolved I did a full noise insulation (Only thing not done is roof because I just could not manage it in time. I will be insulating the roof in the summer.) and speaker upgrade.

Speakers were Focal PS165 component speakers for front and rear (I put the rear tweeters in the the rear pillar) and amplifing Focals I got Gladen RS 100.4. Front subwoofer is Rockford fosgate P2D2 10" which I built a sealed box for accurate bass and it is amplified by Crunch Gravity GTX-2000D. Rear subwoofer is ported for boom bass with pioneer woofer 12" and magnat aplifier from my previous car. Condensator is Fulais with 10 Farad. Also decided to fit the Pioneer AVIC-F60DAB which is nice. Rear subwoofer amplifier is located behind right rear panel. Front subwoofer, component speakers amplifier and condensator are located under passenger seat. The positive terminals are hooked to the leisure battery and the negative terminals are connected to the car chassis negative terminal (it is located between front seats, just before the dash).

When I took it all apart and saw the factory "insulatsion" it made me sad. For noise insulation on the front doors and tailgate(had to get stronger tailgate struts because the hatch got pretty heavy and didnt go up anymore) I used 2mm Silent Coat mat and on top of it Silent Coat absorber and/or Gladen Neoprene . On the panels I also added some thick Felt and/or fire and waterproof matress foam. On Car panels and sliding doors I used same things only more because weight does matter only on the hinged doors. For the floor I used 4mm Silent Coat mat and matress foam and Gladen Neoprene. Putting it all back together with all the materials was not a problem. Hardest was the front carpet which goes under the dash. It got very, very tight and needed a lot of swearing word.

Now the sound quality is a lot better and bass is also nice. Also it is now a lot quieter and less tiring to drive. Feels like an absolutely different car. The process took about a 2 months. At the beginning I was a bit scared about maybe breaking the panels when getting them off but it is pretty easy. All in all it was a pretty expensive project but totally worth it.

I uploaded pictures I made during the process. A link to the whole gallery: http://imgur.com/a/UvKMP#0
Mario92

Re: Noise insulation and sound upgrade

Postby AllAboardTheWolfBus » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:50 pm

Wow, it looks like you did a really thorough job. I'm scared of putting dynamat in my doors.
AllAboardTheWolfBus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sezyal » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:57 am

You did a lot. Sound is mostly from wheels and maybe some wind noise on highway. I think yours is a bit overkill and maybe not great to cover every breathing hole in car.
2014 Tourneo Custom 155 SWB Titanium Plus
Stratosphere Blue
+18" Sport Wheels
+HID Kit
sezyal
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mario92 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:50 pm

Well, it may be overkill but as I was taking it apart I thought why not. Now on the highway noise only comes from the roof which I havent done yet.
One more thing, all the doors have a nice soft closing sound. Feels more like a premium car.
Mario92

Postby vibastan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:26 pm

Very nice job. Aita mind ka :D
Tourneo custom 155
vibastan

Postby Fordfanman » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:48 pm

I want to Silentcoat the cab floor of my Custom. How easy is it to remove the existing plastic floor covering?
Fordfanman

Return to Transit Custom